Sunday, July 17, 2005

My Ghana Personality and Koforidua

Most people who read this (people who know Lauren better than they know me) probably see me as a quiet, reserved person who would rather have dental work done without anesthesia than go to some kind of social function.

In Ghana, I'm different. I'm not the boistrous, life of the party guy in Ghana, but I find myself being someone who is quick to argure for what I think is right. I've had incidents with a couple of people here, who have presented themselves as having authority they don't actually have. Both times, I have felt victorious (I'm more competitive than most people know).

In Accra I got into a minor exchange of words with a guy who claimed to be security, and told us we were not allowed to visit possibly the biggest tourist attraction in Accra (Black Star Square).

Yesterday, my whole family (with me starting the whole thing) got into an (at times heated) arguement with a guy at a natural park who gave us VERY misleading information, that resulted in my nephew (who's 3) being expected to walk a 45 minute rocky, rocky trail (all we wanted to see was a water fall that was not more than a 5 minute walk in the opposite direction). I did the walk back in less than 30 minutes, took my nephew with me, and gave the guy a piece of my mind, telling him he was crazy to expect this little kid to make that walk, when all he wanted to do was see a water fall. Soon, everyone got involed in the discussion, the guy said he would not give me my money back, even if I bugged him for the rest of the day. Soon, there was "a scene", lots of people gathered round, and he was forced to cave. He gave us back our money. We left Boti Falls. We Won. We got our money back even though he said he would never do that.

Koforidua has always felt like an odd home. The kind of place where you are welcome like family, but treated like a guest. It has always made me feel slightly uncomfortable, and I'm sooo glad Lauren is here, because it's an escape. Our jaunts into town to get online (slowest connection EVER - if I post this, it'll be a miracle) are a great way to get out of the house, away from the 6-8 kids who are constantly playing, and making noise, and Kwame Wasa (a cousin with no attention span who is almost impposible to talk to) and his rambling about anything.

That being said, Koforidua is great!!! I love the food and it's great to see my mom, sister, and nephew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home