Thursday, July 07, 2005

Some Random Observations

The taxis in Accra are interesting. A lot of them have the "D" for "Deutschland" bumpersticker on them (presumably, this is not because the drivers are German...). It seems that in cars, in general, the radio is always played so loudly that I'm amazed that the driver seems to have no problem understanding what other people are saying, even if they're outside of the car, on the other side of the road, and behind a stand of oranges. Yesterday in the taxi, we were listening to a loud and repetitive rendition of an old Ace-of-Base song.

On the radio in the local shop yesterday the DJ mentioned that the United Church of Christ has announced its support for gay marraige (internationally, I guess). Then the DJ went: "let's all show our support for gay marriage!" I think it was a Christian radio station. Interesting difference from the Christian radio stations in the U.S....

When I first saw Accra, it seemed much less dominated by major corporate entities than I'm used to seeing in big cities. At first glance, it looks like everything's independently owned. But after awhile, you start to see the same logos over and over; they're just not American ones, which is what I'm used to seeing in other countries (Wal-Mart, KFC, you know, the usual suspects). But some of them are American; there was a truck advertising "Key Soap" and in small letters on one of the doors was the "Lever" brand logo.

The goats I've seen here seem to be about the size of medium-sized dogs, or large dogs. The dogs also look a bit like the goats. In my opinion, the goats are cuter than the dogs. The goats just go around eating everything and ignore you, but the dogs will follow you if you're not paying attention. Seeing chickens all around is also something different for me; not so much at Legon, but in Accra. Roosters, however, are the stupidest and most annoying creatures in all of Ghana. The ones around Legon seem to think that it's time to start crowing at about 2am, and they continue all morning (this fact I discovered about two nights ago when I couldn't fall asleep, even with ear plugs).

The most amazing thing that I've seen so far in Ghana are women with huge plates of neatly-stacked peanuts balanced on their heads. You just have to see it, it's so incredible!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home