Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Ah, Ghana!!!

We finally are in Accra, unsupervised. I feel like my family wants to do everything for us, so being on our own (and away from Legon) is a good thing.
Something about Legon seems artificial. You are protected by this wall (figuratively, and literally) from the rest of Accra. Yes, a few people hound you, and call you obruni, or rasta, but it just feels...safe.
Accra feels more raw. More like I am actually in Ghana. The smells (not all pleasant), the sights, the sounds, and the people. I'm sure I stick out far more out here, but I have to say, I like it.
We ate a HUGE meal of plantain and beans (they call it Red Red) for lunch today. I still feel like I'm going to explode. I think it's the food I miss most, when in the US. I've liked everything I've eaten since I got here.
Lauren got her first true taste of Ghana when we didn't have water for 2 days. It came back on last night, but it went off again this morning. Having to fill water bottles and carry them back and forth takes me back to childhood. Lauren said that's the kind of things American kids do at summer camp. That was kind of funny, because who does that for fun?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home