Sunday, July 31, 2005

30% and on to Cape Coast

I'm glad to be out of Kumasi. If the world relied on just my views of Kumasi, the city would be deserted. I found (almost) nothing appealing about it. I should mention thought, that my dislike for Kumasi had more do with my experiences there, and not the city itself.

We stayed in a hotel arranged by my uncle, that was equally close to his home and his job, which meant we could do almost nothing on our own, without being secretive about it. To make things worse, I found a hotel 30% cheaper than the one he set us up with, that was closer to sites we wanted to see. Also, the water in the hotel we stayed in was only on between about 10 pm and 6 am. To get water, we would have to walk down two flights of stairs, down a hallway, to a tank, fill up a (rather small) bucket, and make the walk back. Having lived (and been) in places where there is no running water, I know all about collecting water in buckets and that kind of thing. However, I have never had to pay (30% more than I had to) to stay in a place with no running water. What annoyed me even more was the attitude the workers had. They had this "its not our problem"-attitude about the water, which really irked me, because it was their problem. A bathroom is virtually useless without water, and we paid (30% more than if we stayed at the place I found, that probably would have had running water) for a service we didn't have. I didn't vent this to anyone in Kumasi, because I didn't want my uncle to feel bad.

Our Cape Coast place is pretty posh (and it's directly across from the beach, Emily). This is the first place we have stayed in that's in our guidebook. It even has a refrigerator!

I'm looking forward to spending two weeks in Cape Coast. I went walking around the neighborhood this evening (Lauren stayed in the room), and chatted with a couple of people. One guy even took me to his porch to meet his mother, and gave me a (very brief) lesson in Fante; the language spoken in this region of Ghana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home