Monday, August 01, 2005

Understanding Mfantse

Technically, the only differences between Fante (Mfantse) and Twi are a few regular phonological alternations and a few lexical differences, both of which are theoretically easy to keep in mind (especially since it's sort of my job to do so). In reality, ohmygosh! It's SO hard to understand people's speech here in Cape Coast. Yesterday I was trying to guy some food stuffs from a kiosk near our guesthouse, and I honestly couldn't understand what the woman was saying at all! (It reminds me of the feeling of studying German in Germany and then taking a trip to Holland, although linguistically speaking, I don't think that's a fair comparison.) It seems that some of the more important words are included in that set of "lexical differences," for example, "yes" in Twi is "aane" and in Fante it's "nyew", and "no" in Twi is "daabi" and in Fante is "oho". On the other hand, "please" and "thank you" are basically the same, so at least I know I won't be offending anyone too badly!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me of the summer I spent working as a camp counselor in rural Western PA. Even though I was born in Eastern Ohio, I couldn't understand what the kitchen staff were saying the first day or two. Funny how a few little differences can make such a big difference when it comes to comprehension, 'huh? Thanks for writing and sharing pictures!

7:10 AM, August 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, in Mfantse we still say "Daabi."

4:39 PM, July 30, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home