Saturday, August 13, 2005

Leaving Cape Coast and Health

Last few days in Cape Coast

We are wrapping up our last few days in Cape Coast. As much as I like the city, it's time to go. As a visitor here, there is only so much you can do here before you feel the need to leave.

We are going to be heading to Winneba on Monday. It's a small city (I hope they have at least one decent internet connection) on the coast between Cape Coast and Accra. I have boxed it in on the map below.



I've been to Winneba two times before (I think). I have two memories of the town. We were there because my father was doing some work with the University in the town. The first is the goat they prepared for us (I think this was in 1997 - before I was a vegetarian). They gave us a big lunch and I refused to eat the meat, because I thought it was goat. Everyone said it wasn't, but I didn't buy it. I had goat as a kid once, and hated it. I haven't eaten goat since that one time.

My other memory was my sister, uncle, and I, going to the ocean. Emily wanted to get in the water, but my uncle (at least I think it was my uncle with us) begged her not to go in the water, because it was a Tuesday. I thought "huh? because it's Tuesday???" Fishermen are superstitious, and for some reason, they do not go into the ocean on Tuesdays. It's bad luck. You will die if you go in on Tuesday, just like you will die if you swim less than an hour after eating (that's not true by the way, I saw a thing of TV - and I believe everything I see on TV). It's also kind of cool, because this past Tuesday we went to Elmina Castle, and you could see all the boats (there must have been at least 100) on the beach, or docked up. You don't see customs/traditions like that in the U.S. anymore. It's too bad.


My body on this trip.

I wonder if this trip is good, or bad, for me, physically.

I've had a problem with my right ear on this trip. I've never had ear problems before, so I'm not sure what is wrong with my ear. I may have damaged the cartilage, by using earplugs. It's odd to think that earplugs would damage cartilage, being that I have been hit in the ears by soccer balls going at high speeds many times, without injury. The problem might not be from earplugs, but something else. I don't know. It's just on the inside of my ear, and feels like a physical injury, more than anything else.

The other day, my left knee was slightly out of line. I don't know how that happened (probably from the bed we have in this hotel - it's one of the hardest beds I've ever slept on, so much so that any time any part of my body is under any other part of my body, I cut off circulation, and end up with numb arms and legs).

Other than that, I've been pretty healthy. I've had only one migraine so far (less often than I get them at home). I'm also probably developing back muscle, by carrying my backpack everywhere we go. I know I'm working my legs, as we must walk a minimum of 2 miles everyday. There were a couple of days, when we first got to Cape Coast, where I think we may have walked 10 miles! (We now take the taxi into Cape Coast, instead of walking the 2-3 mile trip each way.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home