Monday, August 08, 2005

The "After Hi" and some pictures

I have not felt much need to blog as of late. I guess I'm just getting used to having internet access on a more regular basis. When I buy an hour of time, I run out of stuff to do after 26-37 minutes (and do things like look at the Michigan State University football schedule). I rarely blog back at home, mainly because I could blog anytime. Also, I want to thank those of you who have commented on our musings of Ghana (both on the blog and via email). It's nice to know that people are reading what we say (an occasionally enjoying it).

I really like Cape Coast. I don't really know why, I just like it. The hissing and callings from people on the street doesn't seem to bother me much anymore (I think it still bugs Lauren sometimes). I just kind of filter it out, and only talk to who I want to talk to. The other night, we were walking through the street, and a kid came up to me, flailing his arms and saying "Obroni". I returned the arm flailing, along with a boogy man sort of face and said "arrrgh" really loudly. It threw him off. He made the noise back to me a few seconds later, and now we both have a story to tell. Everybody's happy.

Speaking of talking to people on the street, Lauren has come up with a name for a phenomenon that has happened a lot to us in Ghana. She calls it the "After Hi". This is when people walking toward you say hi to you after they have walked by you. It happens all the time. It's odd to hear someone say hi to you when they are behind you, or right as they are passing you. There is also the "After Obroni" and the "After How are you?", which you can't even respond to, unless you turn completely around.

Since this post is so random, here are three random pictures, all taken while we were in Koforidua.

The first is kids goofing off. You pull out a camera and this is what you get. We have quite a few pictures that look similar to this one.

The second is of Akaa river. My niece is carrying her younger brother. I love this picture. It looks like something you would see in Lord of the Rings or something.

The third picture is kind of funny. There are two businesses next to each other in Koforidua. One of them is called Koforidua Association for Women Empowerment", and the one right next to it is Play Boy. What is even more funny is, the Women Empowerment business is nothing more than a store that sells wigs and hair extensions. I didn't realize that until I looked at the picture closely. The woman on the left side of the picture is carrying tomatoes on her head. Many women (and a few men) are traveling sales people of sorts. They carry their goods on their heads.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home