Wednesday, August 17, 2005

In Winneba

We are in Winneba. This is our 2nd to last stop in Ghana (we have to go back to Accra to fly out of the country). Apparently, my grandfather was from Winneba - I found that out on Sunday, from my mother. I feel like I know very little about my Ghanaian roots.

We went to the fishing harbor today. There were pigs on the beach (but they were not in blankets - bad joke, I know, but my dad will appreciate it, if no one else does). Seeing pigs on a beach is just odd. The harbor area was so packed. People everywhere, and kids screaming "obroni, kaawuu?" This is some mangled version of "Obroni, how are you?" It just goes to show how few tourists come here - the kids don't even know the right way to harass us!

We have not been harassed by adults much, since we got to Winneba. I don't know if this means they don't know what to say to tourists (because they never see them), or they just don't care. I hope they just don't care. This is very different from Cape Coast, where I could not get through a meal at a particular restaurant without someone coming up and wanting to give me a "brother"-ly hand shake. Mind you, these same people did not bother any other people, no matter their race, just the guy with the dreadlocks.

When we were in Akropong, a woman thought we were brother and sister. Today, a woman saw us and said "Twins?" Twins?!?!?! Twins?!?!?! Now I know that there are people out there who say that anybody who is of a different ethnicity looks alike, but twins? Give me a break. I've already covered the subject of twins on this blog - it's here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

but it really seems that the pigs should be using beach towels instead of blankets (you seem to be prompting me for a comment, but that's all I could come up with. --Dad)

8:19 AM, August 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WINNEBA PEOPLE ARE NICE, THEY DIDN'T BOTHER YOU BECAUSE THEY DON'T SEE YOU AS A SPECIAL PERSON. IN THEIR EYES WE ARE ALL THE SAME

8:25 AM, March 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home