Friday, August 19, 2005

Celine Dion and Bread

What's the deal with Celine Dion?

I have heard more Celine Dion than any person needs to listen to in one lifetime, on this trip. I'm not just talking about Titanic "near far, wherever you are" stuff. I'm talking about the entire Celine Dion catalogue. She is played on ads on TV, and at the bar that is attached to our hotel. The other day she was being played at a "spot" (a place that serves drinks and small food), and the kid working there was singing along (he was an adolescent boy), to every song. We also ran into a guy who said he was a boxer, who wanted to box in Miami, Michigan, or Arizona (don't ask me why he chose those locations). After telling me this, he asked me if I knew who Celine Dion was. I said I did, and he seemed pleased to hear that.

Ghanaian Bread is the Bestest

The white bread in Ghana is far superior to any white bread I've had in the United States. It's almost always locally produced (my aunt runs a bakery out of my mom's house in Koforidua), and tastes awesome. The only bread I can think of that even comes remotely close to Ghanaian bread is Shepard's Bread, from Trader Joe's (yes, I'm plugging Trader Joe's on this blog).

Ghanaian white bread comes in two varieties: sweet bread and tea bread (not-so-sweet bread). I've always been a sweet bread man, myself. Anyone who knows of my baking, knows I have a sweet tooth (if you don't know this, you have never tasted my banana, pumpkin, strawberry, or banana chocolate breads). Today, however, I tasted the best tea bread I've ever tasted (sorry, Aunt Esther, but this stuff is better than yours). It might be the best thing about Winneba!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home